Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Skinny on Hair Colouration Treatments

Let's be honest - how many of you colour treat your hair?  I have been doing it for years, however I have noticed the damaging effects of these DIY colourations more and more over the past few years. 
 Today I would like to share a few "tips" on how to get the fresh, new colour you desire, and how to minimize the damage to your beautiful tresses at the same time.
 
All comments and recommendations in this blog post do not refer to the brand shown above.  This photo shows the brand I personally used to do my DIY colour treatment last time.
 
First off, colouring your hair does cause considerable damage because your hair's cuticles have to be lifted in order for the colour to take hold.  The only other ways of colouring your hair chemical-free are mentioned below.
 
This is how Wikipedia describes it in a nutshell:
 
Most permanent color changes require that the cuticle of the hair be opened so the color change can take place within the cuticle. This process, which uses chemicals to alter the structure of the hair, can damage the cuticle or internal structure of the hair, leaving it dry, weak, or prone to breakage. After the hair processing, the cuticle may not fully close, which results in coarse hair or an accelerated loss of pigment. Generally, the lighter the chosen colour from one's initial hair color, the more damaged it may be. Other options for applying color to hair besides chemical dyes include the use of such herbs as henna and indigo, or choosing ammonia-free solutions.
 
 
 
 
 
Some helpful advice from me to you:

Step 1:  In preparation for the colouration, I prep my hair with a bottle of TIPS Nail Conditioner about 2 - 3 days prior to doing the colour treatment.  This treatment provides your hair with essential hydration, fortification, strength and replenishes the essential lipids.  Remember:  This should not seem odd because hair and nails are made of the very same keratin protein.  So, what's good for your nails, is good for your hair!
 
BTW for all ASK Cosmetics' fans - the company will be relaunching their deep treatment for hair again soon.  They constantly get requests for this product, which has not been sold for the past few years.   
 
 

Step 2:  On the day of colouration I mix the colourshine developer and the colourshine gel together as instructed by the product's leaflet.  The chemicals in these two tubes are the ones that will actually lift the cuticles allowing the colour to enter and create that new shade you are looking for. 
 
Step 3:  Then I proceed to apply the combination of these two elements to my hair. No photos here, as things tend to get very messy in my bathroom at this stage of the game. One time the gloves I was using were not the best quality and some of the colour got on my nails. Well, my nails took on the same colour as my hair. A word of caution - use good gloves or double up to avoid such awful, long-lasting mistakes.
 

Step 4:  Here's where the great advice comes in.  DO NOT under any circumstances use the "deep treatment" conditioner provided in the package after your colouration.  THROW IT AWAY!

Because it is packed full of waxes and silicones, it will:
  • create a waxy layer on your freshly coloured hair, thus weighing it down;
  • cause your hair to go yellowish or orangish after a few weeks;
  • fill the already lifted, vulnerable cuticles with heavy waxes and silicones, which will cause your hair to be heavy, break easily and generally become unmanageable.
I know this may be hard to do, but trust me.  After I started leaving out this step of my hair colouration treatment my hair has been fantastic.  I no longer feel like I have done serious damage to my hair, and it no longer feels like straw after the colour treatment.  I was so grateful for this advice.
 
 
Every day I use the ASK Cosmetics' Daily-Use Shampoo - a gentle, yet highly effective shampoo that is super mild and good for all hair types.  It doesn't contain any sulfates, so it won't strip the hair of essentials elements.  On most days I follow up with the Conditioner, which doesn't contain any waxes or silicones.  This is terribly important when choosing any conditioner.  As I indicated above, these unnecessary ingredients will only cause a myriad of problems for your hair. 
 
 
Thanks for reading this post.  Have a great day, Lisa M.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment